Community Action Program for Children
Program Coordinators: Robyn McKenzie, R.E.C.E and E.S.W., Sharon Isaac - CAPC Assistant
Phone: 519-371-1147 x22, 226-668-7457(cell)
This program is for off Reserve Aboriginal families
The Community Action Program for Children 0-6yrs (CAP-C) at M’Wikwedong Native Cultural Resource Centre gives off reserve First Nations, Metis, and Inuit families the opportunity and services they need.
The Goal of the off reserve aboriginal component of the Brighter Futures CAP-C is to strengthen families and communities through lots of support. The aim of the program is to improve the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well being of off-reserve Aboriginal children ages 0-6yrs and their families. The centre is a safe space for off reserve aboriginal families to come together and learn more about parenting, life skills, cultural teachings, nutrition and so much more.
- Prenatal, infant and child nutrition and development
- Parenting skills/care giving skills
- Community development and healing
- Children living in low-income families
- Children experiencing developmental delays, social, emotional and behavior problems.
- Children living in teenage-parent families
- Abused and neglected children
- People who have or are likely to have at risk young children
- Court support when requested
- CAS Support when requested
- Advocate on behalf of client with other local services providers when asked.
- Referrals to other agencies and culturally appropriate treatment centres.
- Transportation available to participants on Sundays and evening programming, where the city transit does not run.
- Home visits as requested.
- Food bags as requested by the client.